Personal and Career Development
Don’t just take our word for it!
I just wanted to say what a great site this is!
Excellent information to get everything back into perspective.
Claudio, South Africa
Welcome to our personal and career development resources to help you make happier work and life choices. Here you’ll find a range of tools, tips and techniques to help you plan, set and achieve your development goals.
Successful managers invest in personal and career development. They achieve their goals by lifelong commitment to personal growth and professional development.
The Happy Manager contains a growing range of material to help you plan, set and achieve your personal development goals.
This section contains some excellent personal and career development resources – from tips and stories to career change advice and key success factors.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Featured What Makes a Great Manager?What makes a great manager? There are many different ways of answering this question but how many would include a reference to happiness? Ours does! We... read more
Featured Self MotivationLet it Flow Does self motivation come easy for you? If not, perhaps you should consider the work of positive psychologist, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (pronounced: Chick-sent-me-high-ee). He found that... read more
Mini Series Developing Management SkillsAlthough formal courses are important, alongside this type of knowledge there is other wisdom which is equally critical for leaders and managers. This mini-series on management skills considers this idea from three crucial management perspectives: focusing; doing; knowing. Show Series
- Leadership and Professional Development - Be in the Know At the heart of leadership and professional development is the idea of building a core of... read more
- Developing Management Skills - Focus on the 8 P’s of Effective Management Developing management skills is perhaps one of the most critical activities facing... read more
- Effective Management Skills - Making it Happen Effective management skills must first and foremost be about getting things done. Whatever else management might be... read more
Mini Series Thinking of an MBA?This series of articles offers some insights into that most popular of management programmes, the MBA. These vary considerably in content, price quality and benefit, so before you choose, choose wisely! Show Series
- Business School Executive MBA Explained - What differentiates a business school executive MBA from any other kind of MBA? Deciding to study for any such course... read more
- MBA Program Rankings - Issues and Insights MBA program rankings are used widely by prospective students and employers, but these ranking lists have also... read more
- MBA School Rankings - MBA school rankings have gained significant popularity and importance as a way to compare different business schools and their MBA... read more
- MBA Business School Ranking Criteria - What exactly is an MBA business school ranking? Thinking about an MBA’s “rank” can be a useful exercise when you’re... read more
- MBA Starting Salaries - It’s Pay-back Time! Let’s face it, MBA starting salaries are pretty important to anyone interested in gaining that qualification. Quite... read more
Mini Series Work-based LearningThis collection of articles focuses on the value of learning in the workplace. Whilst there is undoubted value in formal management education and training, there is also a wealth of knowledge within organisations. All too often overlooked! Show Series
- Business Management Education - Re-thinking Our Approach Do we need to re-think our approach to business management education? In order to develop as a... read more
- Leadership Management Training - Good leadership management training should draw upon excellent content but that alone is not enough. To be fully effective, this... read more
- Management and Leadership Development Training - It’s More Than Courses and Classes Think for a moment about your own management and leadership development training. Was it... read more
Mini Series Careering AheadThis collection of articles offers some ideas and insights on career development. They are no substitute for careers advice but, as ever on the Happy Manager, we offer some counter-intuitive approaches to get you thinking! Show Series
- Career Builder - Career Builder: Building Your Own Education A Career Builder Story: “Students working on the Chapel”. Below is a photo of... read more
- Career Change Advice - Career Change Advice: Make Your Interview Questions Count! Here’s some good career change advice for your next job interview. When... read more
- Career Goal Setting - Try to make enthusiasm central to your career goal setting Enthusiasm is infectious! Often those around us catch that sense... read more
- Success Maker? - Success Maker: Developing the Happy Manager Do you want to be a success maker? Perhaps the first thing to consider... read more
- Work Motivation - Work Motivation – Play to Your Strengths When it comes to work motivation: what’s your view of work – are... read more
- Goal Setting Tip - Goal Setting Tip: Do What You Love How to be happy? If we could offer one, single, goal setting tip... read more
- Benefits of Time Management - Begin With the End in Mind Which benefits of time management are you hoping to achieve? To save some time... read more